Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Where's your English From?

I would have to say that my english comes from my culture growing up, my friends, parents, teachers and co-workers in the work place. My friends, and culture growing up, I think, mostly influenced the way I speak out of a professional setting. When I was about 5 or 6 my parents were already letting me go outside on my own to play with the other children, my age, that lived in the neighborhood. So that allowed us kids at a young age to develop our own lingo in which we did things and communicated with each other. Plus my parents speak very little english so I never had anyone in the home correcting mine. I admit I was saying cuss words at a young age because I had no barrier for the same reason that my parents weren't aware what they were in english, at first. Teachers helped me clear that up real quick though when i started getting disciplined for my bad mouth. With my friends I developed a lingo gathered from local neighborhood slang and inside jokes from situations occured. Instead of "you feel me?'' we say "ya feh meh?" or "you know what im saying?" is "yadada?". Yes, I still use that term with certain company. I still have to watch what i say though in a professional setting because the slang could slip out of me.

Thankfully I realized how to speak proper english by paying attention to essay writing. The format I learned was very broken down and to keep the reader interested I tried to use many adjectives and variety of words to explain certain things so it wouldn't feel like repetitive reading. Now I know how to input two ways of speaking english in the proper setting.

5 comments:

  1. "Yadadada". I got to go out at a early age too just skateboarding with my friends or playing games because I did not have a reason to stay home. There was nothing to do at home and by going out, I learned how to talk to different cultures while growing up. Now I am not shy and I can talk and connect to different people, even the weirdos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you explained that with the story about your parents letting you go out the house young and creating a language with your friends out side while you play. That is when and where we first came up with the idea that we the young needed a language to get out our parents topics so we can have our own conversation.Great point

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry, I really enjoyed reading your blog post it really hit home and saw alot of similar things in the way I feel and how where we come from and who we are around have influenced our way of speech and grammar and the way you put your post together was really on point and I enjoyed it and like to see we have common ideas on what made our speech

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the examples you gave as decriptions of speech. It can be really difficult to break bad speech habits especially when you don't know how to use words in their proper context.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too picked up some English from the friends I made back in middle school since I started learning a little bit later. It was really adapting to fit in for me, so I can relate to what your saying and I thought your post was well thought out.

    ReplyDelete